Overview: Southampton Living Well (SLW) offer daytime activities and a place to go to for older people living in Southampton.
As we grow older we all face new challenges, but that doesn’t stop us from wanting a fulfilling independent later life. The Southampton Living Well Partnership is passionate that everyone should have the opportunity to be able to make the most of later life whatever the circumstances.
SLW hubs offer bespoke activities, tailored to the interests and abilities of those attending on any given day and this is where you can make a BIG difference!
Location: Shirley, Lordshill, Bitterne, Coxford and Central
What does an Activities Volunteer do?
- Enjoys spending time with and supporting older people
- Works well as part of a team and can use their own initiative
- Supports older people to achieve their desired outcome from the activities
Activities could include: exercise, flower arranging, cooking, painting, crafts, bingo, singing, reading, nail painting, knitting, gardening etc.
Works with the organisation to?
- Provide support to service users to engage in their chosen activity
- Adopt a team spirit and recognises they work as part of a team
- Report any concerns to, and attends any support sessions with the Community Enablers / Facilitator
- Attend an induction and any ongoing training required for the role
- Adopt our values and treat everyone that comes into the service with dignity and respect
Skills, personal qualities and practical requirements most suited to this role:
- Understand what the partnership does, enthusiasm for the role and supporting older people
- Good spoken and written English, communication and listening skills to support and encourage service users
- Reliable and punctual, patient and understanding and enjoys helping people
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Able to maintain professional boundaries and work within the role description Able to work within our policies and procedures
How much time is involved?
By mutual arrangement, to cover various sessions Monday-Friday 10am-3pm
Expenses and Insurance:
We will cover agreed out-of-pocket expenses for volunteers (e.g. travel costs) and also insure you for the time you are volunteering with us.
Training & Development:
- AUKS general and role-specific Induction and where possible, involvement with other areas of AUKS work to understand the range of activities provided. Training relevant for the role from SCiA.
- All Volunteers are required to adhere to Age UK Southampton’s policies and procedures at all times, including, but not restricted to, safeguarding, lone-working and confidentiality policies.
Responsible to: Community Facilitator, SCiA
Additional support from: Support Service Team Leader, AUKS / Opportunities Day Manager (SCiA)
Application Forms available from Age UK Southampton: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 023 8036 8636